Pre Registering for Settlement Deeds

If you live in or have property within 30 metres of the the planned HS2 tunnel then your property will have been ‘sub surface safeguarded’ and you may be concerned about possible damage to your property during construction of the tunnels, or the running of the railway line. Settlement deeds will be available for residents to apply for once the final alignment of the tunnel is confirmed. Some properties will qualify for ‘before and after surveys’ to help ascertain if HS2 causes any settlement or damage.

You can read more here about what is a deed, what is settlement and what are settlement deeds.

If you have not already, you should make sure you pre-register your interest in a ‘Settlement Deed’ .
The eligibility criteria for benefiting from a settlement deed is complicated but this document may help here.

At this stage we would urge you to make sure you register your property. If you have already done this but have received no reply, please re-send an email as there was an initial problem with address when it was first set up, which HS2Ltd have acknowledged and rectified.

Send an email to

Simply include your full name and the address you wish to register, with your full contact details for future communication.

Please do share the information with neighbours and those who may not be online. 

A bit of history on this issue:

In 2016 Keri Brennan appeared on behalf of residents close to the Ruislip tunnel, at the House of Lords Select Committee to try to get a better deal. You can watch the footage here,


(Keri’s slot starts at approx 2.14pm)

Unfortunately the outcome has not improved but we are entitled to pre-register for a ‘settlement deed’.
Only a few properties are eligible for ‘before and after surveys’ which is a concern.

At the moment anyone who’s property is expected to be affected by less than 10mm of settlement is not eligible for the surveys – if the line of deviation brings the line closer to us on final plan, more people may be entitled.

Despite HS2Ltd saying you do not need a settlement deed in order to be able to benefit from their assurances that they would remedy (or pay to remedy) any issues caused by tunnelling works.  We would strongly urge you to register for one anyway. At the moment it is pre-registration only.

You can do this by ;

Providing the name and address of the applicant

An email address and/or telephone number for future communication

Address of the building or part of the building for which the Settlement Deed is required.

Information should be sent:

If you want more detail please read the details in this document.